- Areas with poor sanitation
Nitrogen – amonia -> Nitrate
health concern: methemoglobinemia (Blue Baby Syndrome)
Algal blooms; diurnal cycle leading to effects including fish death.
Example sources of phosphorus: detergent (tripolyphosphate)
Sources of containments that are spread out across the landscape. E.g. agriculture.
Toxic organic compounds
PCB – Polychlorinated Biphenyls
- used as insulators
- low potential for combustion
- potential carcenogens
- Effective at killing mosquitos
- Prevented spread of malaria, saving countless lives
- Affects bird reproduction
- Rachel Carson – Silent Spring documents effects of DDT/organic chemicals on ecosystems
- Impacted water supply
- Movie: Civil Action featuring John Travolta
- Have health benefits
- Emerge from body potentially un-altered
- Flow through sewage treatment systems into environment
Protects surface of metals, extending usefulness. Can find way into environment.